Northern education: R77-21/1960E-PDF
ten years of progress.
"Only ten years have elapsed since the first federal schools went into operation in the Northwest Territories. This year, then, seems to be an appropriate one to make an assessment of what progress there has been since these first three schools went into operation, at Fort Chimo, Fort Brabant and Fort McPherson. In order to do so, let us look backward to see what educational facilities there were in 1949. In 1949, eight different authorities operated schools in the north. Only three classrooms were operated by the Department. Some schools operated for only four hours a day, four days a week, and 35% of the teachers in such schools did not hold teaching certificates. Classroom visitations were infrequent. Film services and adult education classes were provided in only three communities. There was no vocational training program nor were there any teachers employed to teach hospital patients. There was little or no provision for any program of in-service training and there were no plans for using a curriculum, other than that of the Province of Alberta. Community libraries were almost unknown. There were only 117 Eskimo children attending school on a full-time basis."--p. 1.
|Department/Agency||Indian and Northern Affairs. Northern Administration Branch. Education Division.|
|Subtitle||ten years of progress.|
|Electronic Document|| |
Note: The URLs contained in this/these document(s) may no longer be functional
|Note||Digitized edition from print [produced by Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada].|
|Number of Pages||14 p. :|
|Subject Terms||Inuit, Education, Schools|
- Date modified: