Services for the Government of Canada
- Online Catalogue of Government of Canada Publications
- ISBNs and Catalogue Numbers
- Depository Services Program
- Digitizing Print Publications
Online Catalogue of Government of Canada Publications
Publishing and Depository Services (PDS) maintains a central database of Government of Canada publications that is searchable and available to the public. All institutions of the Government of Canada identified in Schedules I, I.1 and II of the Financial Administration Act are obligated to provide their portable electronic publications to PDS as per the Procedures for Publishing. We also welcome participation from other Government of Canada institutions.
Information to Include in Publications
In accordance with section 6.7 of the new TBS Procedures for Publishing, the following information is required when producing publications:
- the departmental signature or the Government of Canada signature and the Canada Wordmark, as specified in the Policy on Communications and Federal Identity;
- the title must be clearly stated, preferably on a separate title page and must not be associated or presented with graphic design elements or other typography that are not part of the title; except for the official symbols of the Government of Canada;
- the date of the publication;
- a statement of availability of other accessible formats (e.g. electronic edition);
- a copyright notice;
- when there are separate English and French versions of a publication, the available notice of the other language appears on the page following the title page;
- the Government of Canada catalogue number, if applicable;
- the departmental catalogue number, if applicable; and
- the appropriate ISBN or ISSN.
Format of Copyright Notice
Copyright notices in Government of Canada publications should be in the following format:
© Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada, as represented by the Minister of [legal name of GC department], [year of publication]
For example: © Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada, as represented by the Minister of Public Works and Government Services Canada, 2013
ISBNs and Catalogue Numbers
We're responsible for assigning ISBN and Catalogue Numbers to Government of Canada publications. If you're publishing Government of Canada information for public consumption or limited circulation, then you'll need the appropriate control numbers for your publication – regardless of the medium.
Depository Services Program
The Depository Services Program (DSP) catalogue publications from Government of Canada departments and agencies. All publications are catalogued by the DSP and are searchable in our online catalogue. There are no costs to authoring institutions for cataloguing, this is done at our expense. Departments and agencies need only provide us with a single copie of any electronic publications in portable electronic format.
Digitizing Print Publications
If you are a department or agency with Government of Canada print publications that you would like to digitize, the Document Imaging Solutions Centre (DISC) at PWGSC can help you with that. DISC digitizes millions of pages a year for Government of Canada clients, and is able to provide output in various formats, including PDF. Optical character recognition is also available, and can make your digitized documents searchable and more accessible.
To learn more about DISC, we invite you to visit the Document Imaging Solutions Centre website.
At Publishing and Depository Services, we strive to provide a digital collection of Government of Canada publications that is as comprehensive as possible. If you have or plan to produce electronic versions of Government of Canada publications in PDF format that are not currently available in our catalogue, please contact us to discuss integrating them into our collection.
- Date modified: