Resource rents from Aboriginal lands in Canada / Hugh M. Grant.: Z1-1991/1-41-83E-PDF

“The concept of economic rent has assumed a central role in discussions of aboriginal rights in Canada. Large-scale resource development have generated significant economic benefits, but also enormous social and environmental costs. Economic rent is defined as the net social benefit accruing from the exploitation of natural resources and, therefore, the potential income accruing to the owner of the land. The distribution of rents between private firms, governments and Aboriginal peoples, however, has been highly unequal. In particular, Aboriginal people have shared few of the benefits and borne an inordinate share of the costs"--Intro., p. 1.

Permanent link to this Catalogue record:

Publication information
Department/Agency Canada. Privy Council Office.
Canada. Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples.
Title Resource rents from Aboriginal lands in Canada / Hugh M. Grant.
Publication type Monograph
Language [English]
Format Electronic
Electronic document
Note(s) Historical publication digitized by the Privy Council Office of Canada.
Cover title.
"A report prepared for the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples; Revised, October 1994."
Includes bibliographical references.
1. Introduction -- 2. The concept and measurement of economic rent -- 3. Hydro-electricity generation and the Cree and Metis of Cedar Lake, Manitoba -- 4. Militarization and the Innu of the Quebec-Labrador Peninsula -- 5. Oil and gas development and the Cree of Hobbema, Alberta -- 6. Resource rents and self-sufficient Aboriginal economies in Saskatchewan -- 7. Resource rents and Aboriginal self-determination.
Publishing information [Ottawa] : Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples, [1994]
Author / Contributor Grant, Hugh M. K.(Hugh Murray Kenneth),1956-
Description 102 p. : ill., maps
Catalogue number
  • Z1-1991/1-41-83E-PDF
Edition Rev.
Subject terms Commissions of inquiry
Aboriginal peoples
Resource development
Request alternate formats
To request an alternate format of a publication, complete the Government of Canada Publications email form. Use the form’s “question or comment” field to specify the requested publication.
Date modified: